Remodelers don’t sell a commodity; we sell a service. There are many variables to a remodeling project and as a result pricing is done on a case by case basis. Remodeling is a process that requires stringent project management. To be successful in remodeling, we must manage the process and also the project. Understanding the process is paramount to understanding the steps in your remodeling project and this is something we will break down for you.
The first step in the process is to identify what your goals and priorities are for the overall project. Once the overall concept, timeline and budget are established we then move to the design phase. During the design phase we construct both structural and interior design plans. These plan include specifications as well as all product selections. As more decisions are made and product selections happen we will review your initial budget. The next step is acquiring permits and obtaining approval on the permits. Once all permits are in place the construction begins. Communication is key at this point, and our staff is always accessible. Updates will be continual during this process so that you are kept in the loop on all developments.
One major advantage of the design/build process is that there is only a single contract between the owner and the design/build team. Another advantage is that we perform all functions such as on site measurements, engineering for structural modifications and preparing drawings of existing conditions. Other functions we may perform are assisting the client with preparation and analysis of proposed needs and goals, producing design sketches to help communicate the proposed design, helping to direct clients in all material and product selections, building plans and final job costs. Rolling all these processes into one streamlined production improves communication, lowers cost, and ultimately limits risks on behalf of the owner, since all liability is handled by the Remodeler.
Larger jobs are split into 2 phases. Phase 1- space planning, structural engineering and an initial cost review to establish your budget. Phase 2- interior design, product and material selections, building plans and the final cost evaluation. Once those two phases are complete we will provide a contract on the proposed build out. Lastly, building begins.
For smaller Jobs, like stand-alone kitchens and baths, the process is condensed to a single phase. My initial consultation for a small job is at no charge. My design fees are based on the scope of work, the job site logistics, time of year and projected budget.
Finding the right remodeler is very important to the success of your project. Your home is too important to trust it to just anyone. Your remodeler needs to listen and understand your needs, respect your lifestyle and have a good personality, along with a good reputation.
- Has established business in area
- Solid referral base of past clients
- Fully Licensed and Insured
- Member of local and national Building Trade Associations
- Certifications by those Building Trade Associations
- Active in community
- Listen to your needs and wants, translate them into a functional design
- Constant communication is key to the success of a remodeling project
- Understand that your comfort throughout the project is dependent on effective communication
- Keep a safe, clean and orderly job site
- Provide the best quality materials within your budget
- Save time and costs by completing the job right the first time
- Build the project to meet or exceed local building codes
- Provide a written warranty for all work
- Respond promptly to all service calls and warranty work
- Replace siding, repair roofs, and replace HVAC system with high performance unit
- Improve drainage, paint exterior
- Add a deck, expand your kitchen, and upgrade your baths
- Smart remodeling can increase the value of your home
- Now is perfect time to invest in home remodeling
- High efficiency HVAC system, tankless water heaters
- Gas conversions, Insulated windows and doors
- Green products
- Increase accessibility for your home
- Allow aging in place
- Roll in shower, walk in tubs
- Barrier free homes
- Replace cabinets, fixtures, and repainting, new countertops
- Lighting, fixtures, exterior lighting
- Increase functionality, design for your style
- Energy efficient appliances, task lighting
- Undermount sinks, granite tops, custom cabin
- Create your private retreat
- Add a spa, steam shower, sauna
- Multi head shower, his and hers vanities
- Maintain and increase the value of your home
- New siding, fresh paint, clean gutters, improve landscaping
- Add new façade
- Expand your living area to the outdoors
- Add a deck, patio, pool
- Create an outdoor kitchen and entertainment space
The remodeling contract is quite lengthy. Florida law requires many attachments and disclosures. These all must be included for your protection. Permits must be included. Full coverage insurance must be included. Reference to plans and specifications must be included. Start and completion dates or times must be included. Payment schedule must be included.
At Greaves Construction, we believe that EVERYONE’S home should be a source of comfort, pride and pleasure to it’s owner.
We also appreciate the seriousness of hiring a contractor. It’s a major decision. Afgter all, you’re talking about spending a lot of money, temporarily disrupting your lifestyle, being forced to make lots of decisions. It sounds terrible doesn’t it?
Well, it doesn’e have to be that way. After 30 years of remodeling, we’ve learned that with the right Contractor, the process can be exciting, rewarding and yes even fun! We hope the information you find here is helpful, and if you think we might be the right Contractor for you, please contact us.